Best Overall: Adidas ZG21
“With extended spikes that grab the turf, the Adidas ZG21 can provide support, stability, and a strong foundation during the golf swing. It’s also comfortable to wear and great for a golf walk.”
Best Value Option: Adidas Tech Response
“Featuring strong spikes, the Adidas Tech Response offers exceptional comfort, traction, and stability at an affordable rate! For the best value, you can’t go wrong with the Adidas Tech Response.”
Best Waterproof Option: Skechers Torque
“Keep your socks and inner sole dry with the Skechers Torque. Its spikes are a terrific piece of golf equipment and combined with its waterproof feature makes it a great choice for playing golf!”
Gone on are the days of wearing tough leather golf cleats, and instead, a fresh era of golf spikes that boast comfort, premium traction, and stability is here.
While wearing regular running shoes on the course might be comfortable, they can’t provide the grip and foundation of a solid pair of golf spikes.
Available in different styles and colors, the best golf spikes on the market today all share the ability to make sure that you don’t slip during your swing. There’s a big reason why professional golfers wear golf shoes, and you should not overlook this area of your accessories when trying to lower your scores.
Here’s our list of the best golf spikes in 2022.
We also tested and reviewed the top 10 best golf shoe bags of 2022, a must-have after buying your golf shoes!
Last updated on 2022-07-02. The links are affiliate links. Product images are served from Amazon Product Advertising API.
Table of Contents
- The Rundown:
- Featured Recommendations
- Best Spiked Golf Shoes 2022
- Things to Consider When Buying Spiked Golf Shoes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Spiked Golf Shoes 2022
- Best Spiked Golf Shoes: Adidas ZG21
- Best Value Option: Adidas Tech Response
- Best Waterproof Option: Skechers Torque
- Best Traction Option: Callaway Balboa TRX
- Best Luxury Budget Option: New Balance Striker
- Best Tour Option: Adidas Tour360 XT
- Best Softspikes Option: Puma Ignite Caged
- Best Lightweight Option: New Balance Minimus
- Best High Quality Spikes Option: FootJoy Fury
- Best Luxury Option: New Balance Links Pro
- Best Waterproof Budget Option: Adidas Tech Response
- Best Softspikes Budget Option: FootJoy Sneaker
- Best Walking Option: Skechers Torque Twist
Best Spiked Golf Shoes
- Easy to wear with comfortable style and fit
- Provide support, stability, and a strong foundation during the golf swing
- Great for a golf walk, made with flexible synthetic material
- Tougher sole takes a few rounds to get comfortable
- Synthetic material doesn’t breathe as well as other mesh options
Our choice for the best overall spikes option is the wonderfully comfortable Adidas ZG21. With excellent traction through the golf swing, the ZG21 offers extended spikes that grab the turf and don’t let go.
The spikes are supported with softspikes along the arch and heel, making them one of the best pairs of golf shoes for the course. Easy to wear when you walk the links, the ZG21 offers premium technology that won’t hurt your feet at the end of the day.
Adidas Tech Response
Best Value Spiked Golf Shoe
- Strong spike keeps the lower half of the body grounded for power
- Helps provide traction and stability throughout swinging the club
- Durable sole that fits firmly to the foot for maximum comfort
- Definitely feels like an entry-level quality shoe
- Tougher exterior takes longer to break-in
Our choice for the best value option is also a strong release from Adidas, the Tech Response spikes. Not only are these golf shoes incredibly affordable but they are a dream to wear. These golf shoes provide exceptional comfort whether you walk the course or ride in the cart.
Available in a sleek black color, the Tech Response has six spikes that you can easily replace with the company’s wrench, so your spikes will always feel fresh during your round.
Best Waterproof Spiked Golf Shoe
- Offer a tour feel and look with excellent fitting regardless of size
- Exceptional combination of hard and soft spikes for maximum traction
- Waterproof keeps your socks and inner sole dry throughout the round
- Plain appearance doesn’t dazzle like competitors
- Comfortable but does not offer a traditional golf shoe feel
Available for players that need a strong waterproof golf shoe, the Skechers Torque spikes are a terrific piece of golf equipment. Made from 100% synthetic material, the Torque remains highly flexible and a great buy.
If you need a combination sole that offers hard spikes with terrific grip and soft spikes that lessen the burden on the body, the Torque’s sole provides both. Each cleat style is well made and will keep you from slipping during swinging.
Callaway Balboa TRX
Best Traction Golf Shoe
- Variable spike pattern keeps toes locked into the turf
- Available in four colors, including black
- Easy comfort with well-fitting size options
- Cleats aren’t very durable, expect to replace quickly
- Snug toe space can cause blisters early in the life of the shoe
If you are having trouble staying grounded during your takeaway, the Callaway Balboa TRX spikes could be the answer to all of your problems. Wonderful golf cleats like the Balboa TRX offers a sleek look with plenty of color options.
The seven hard spikes work in unison with the softspikes along the interior of the outer soled area for maximum traction. A popular golf shoe on tour, the Balboa TRX offers a slice of luxury for the amateur golfer looking for a wonderful buy with an excellent fitting.
New Balance Striker
Best Luxury Budget Spiked Golf Shoe
- Exceptional buy at a low price for a luxury golf shoe
- Far-reaching cleat helps stabilize the lower half of the body during swinging
- Tour-level cleats with a modern look fueled by innovative technology
- Comfortable shoe, but not as soft as other comparable top-tier shoes
- Durability issues after a couple of dozen rounds
A high-tech golf shoe that can help keep the golfer grounded throughout their takeaway and downswing, the New Balance Striker are an aggressively solid golf shoe. These softspikes Pulsar tipped golf spikes are available in black and for an excellent price considering they share the quality of a tour-level shoe.
Offering extensive comfort, the seven-spike shoe offers exceptional traction with easy replacement via the company’s spike wrench.
Adidas Tour360 XT
Best Tour Option
- Top tour-level golf cleats that are easy to wear
- Offers fantastic balance with an even foundation for swinging the club
- Soft outer layer helps comfort the ankles and lower body
- Pricey shoe is not ideal for inexperienced golfers
- Tough sole helps with traction but doesn’t offer much comfort
The Tour360XT utilizes premium technology to create one pair of outstanding golf shoes for the golfer that wants tour spikes for their game. They offer a low profile for the golf course but provide wonderful comfort with their spikes.
With eight hard spikes, the Tour360 does come at an elevated price, especially when you throw in the company’s wrench to replace spikes. Soft enough to walk your round, the Tour360 XT offers a heavy-duty grip for swinging the club at maximum speed.
Puma Ignite Caged
Best Softspikes Option
- Strategically placed hard cleats work with the best soft spike option on the list for terrific grip
- Unique cleat system helps ground the golfer during the entire act of swinging
- Available in several exciting colors and patterns to match any outfit
- Waterproofing doesn’t last very long
- Better for cushion, less so for traction
From Puma comes the thrilling Ignite Caged golf cleats. Working with the best system of softspikes we’ve seen in a golf shoe, the Ignite Caged offers seven uniquely placed spikes to help you anchor to the ground.
For players that want a luxurious option among the best golf cleats, the Ignite Caged is a great golf shoe that uses its design to create maximum performance for the golfer.
New Balance Minimus
Best Lightweight Spiked Golf Shoe
- High-grade waterproof outer layer keeps the interior dry throughout the round
- Patented spike system offer exceptional traction while keeping the shoe comfortable
- Lightweight midsole offers excellent cushioning with each step
- Design does not offer a traditional look
- Very lightweight, not for golfers that want a heavier, stability-first shoe
The Minimus from New Balance is our choice for the best lightweight option due to its strong but highly flexible midsole. The soft, comfortable shoes also have a first-rate waterproof outer layer that keeps the sock and skin dry throughout the round.
This offering from New Balance also features a patented spike system covering along the sole that grounds the lower body to the turf for full turns on the backswing.
Best High Quality Spikes
- Dual Density Foam offers custom comfort along the interior
- Excellent comfort with tour-proven results
- Offers marvelous spikes with a far-reaching grip on the turf
- Outer layer is durable but not flexible
- Breathable, but waterproofing doesn’t fully keep water out
The FootJoy Fury continues the company’s long line of high quality golf shoes. With a soft stretch, the Fury offers a custom fit that holds the toes in place during all movement. The softspikes can be replaced in seconds with an additional wrench from FootJoy.
The spike system offers an even step for players that need balance. 100% waterproof and available in black, the Fury is an outstanding cleat that may hit the high side of the price scale, but the performance makes this golf shoe an easy winner.
FootJoy Tour X
Best Luxury Spiked Golf Shoe
- First-rate spikes with fine craftsmanship and fit
- Cleats help ground the golfer for maximum speed swings
- Nine spikes provide top-notch traction
- Ideal for experienced, serious golfers, not beginners or high handicappers
- Need high-quality socks or expect blisters around the ankle
For golfers looking for the best golf shoe in the luxury category, the FootJoy Tour X is here. A masterfully designed golf shoe, the Tour X offers stability, comfort, control, and waterproofing.
These cleats offer a laser plus fit system from the company that stabilizes the instep for increased cushioning on each step.
Golfers that need top of the line cleats will find that the Tour X is hard to beat. These best golf shoes excel in performance, their sleek black outer layer, and the premium traction of the golf spikes.
- Built like tour-level golf cleats with exceptional softspikes
- High-grade waterproof outer layer keeps the interior dry over the entire round
- A terrific buy with tour-level performance for a low price point
- Not the most visually appealing shoe on the market
- Lacks quality durability for frequent golfers due to foam eyelets
A marvelous buy for the budget-conscious golfer, the Links Pro are like a luxury golf shoe for minimal cost. Terrific spikes for mid and high handicappers, the Links Pro features a waterproof outer layer, expansive cleats, and one of the most admired spike systems on lower priced cleats.
Easily removable with a wrench, these Links Pro softspikes make the golfer feel little need to worry about slipping or falling on the links.
Best Softspikes Budget Golf Shoe
- High-quality cleat keeps the body grounded for max power
- Softspikes offer competition grip on any turf
- Offered in black and white waterproof outer layer options
- Better for traction, narrow body leaves little room for the foot to breathe
- Entry-level option offers a tougher exterior and sole, not as comfortable
The Sneaker from FootJoy offers lightweight cushioning, a molded fitting, and complete waterproofing to protect the interior from the wettest weather. These black golf shoes offer plenty of traction that keeps the lower leg in place for maximum power on the backswing.
The Sneaker utilizes the shoe’s cushioning to provide players with a durable golf cleat and will maintain its shape over the entire length of the spikes’ shelf life. A wonderful shoe, the Sneaker is a fantastic buy for players hoping to save money for their equipment.
Skechers Torque Twist
Best Walking Spiked Golf Shoe
- Excellent buy for a waterproof golf shoe with a high-grade cleat
- Spikes easily replaced with a wrench for a quick change on the go
- Soft-soled that couples with softer spikes to help cushion each step
- Emphasis on comfort over traction
- Funky design with lace enclosure disc along the tongue of the shoe
From Skechers comes the Torque Twist, a fully waterproof shoe that helps make the golfer more confident in their foundation. One of the more admired companies for golf shoes, Skechers designed the Torque Twist with cushioning to make each step an absolute dream on the course.
The shoe’s spikes are easily replaced with a wrench if one begins to slip during your round. If you love a walk on the links, the Torque Twist offers an unmatched comfort level among its competitors.
Things to Consider When Buying Spiked Golf Shoes
Spiked golf shoes offer impressive stability throughout the swing. Due to the long reach of each spike on the sole of the shoe, golfers can crank up the swing speed without worrying about slipping.
The spikes are placed around the foot’s pressure points to help maintain balance as the weight shifts from the backswing to the downswing. A balanced golfer will find that the spikes support maintaining a level approach to the golf ball.
While spikeless golf shoes offer more comfort while walking, the spiked golf shoe remains the best choice for keeping your feet connected to the ground without the worry of losing your stability during the swing.
One of the most significant differences between spiked and spikeless golf shoes is comfort. Spikeless golf shoes rival the feel and comfort of running shoes while offering solid traction and stability.
Spiked golf shoes need a harder, less flexible sole to stabilize the golfer throughout the swing. While golf shoe manufacturers have come a long way in adding comfort to the spiked shoe, they remain more rigid than the spikeless golf shoe models.
For golfers that want to walk the course, a spikeless golf shoe might be a better choice, but for the serious golfer, spiked shoes remain the best option for the amateur golfer.
The most crucial characteristic that spikes provide to golfers is traction. Spiked golf shoes allow golfers to grab into the turf, providing support and resistance that prevents weak grip while swinging rather than slipping or sliding during the swing with running shoes.
Although a tighter spike design might not carry the reach of a wide spike system, the steadiness provided by both spike systems works extremely well for golfers of any age or skill level.
Golfers may need time with either type of spike to find out what works best for their game. For players with shorter width at address, a stronger spike can definitely improve grip and stability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do pros wear spiked golf shoes?
Yes, pros wear spiked golf shoes for extra stability and support during the swing. Professionals prefer the wide-reaching spike with heightened swing speeds to keep them grounded in the turf. Since they need to create incredible torque on the backswing, the spikes lock their legs into the grass to sustain power.
The most popular professional golfers on the PGA Tour, such as Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth, have their golf shoe line available to amateurs. These top-tier golf shoes carry a hefty price tag but provide weekend warriors the opportunity to wear what their idols use on the course.
Do spiked golf shoes make a difference?
Yes, spiked golf shoes can make a huge difference in how stable your lower body stays through the golf swing. If you regularly play with tennis shoes or cross trainer-style shoes, you can experience slipping on the grass, especially when the turf is wet.
The spikes on these golf shoes help anchor the lower body to the turf. Rather than slipping, the spikes offer traction that grounds your torso and legs, allowing you to make a full turn away from the golf ball.
On the downswing, spiked golf shoes provide the necessary resistance-building torque that translates to more power directed to the golf ball.