While it may not be quite as important as a driver, sunscreen is an essential component of a golfer’s arsenal. With its ability to reduce the skin’s exposure to harmful UV rays, a great sunscreen can keep a golfer safe from the dangers of skin cancer.
But not all sunscreens are made equally: some provide quick evaporation to leave your skin feeling unaffected, while others can leave an oily residue. So it is vital for individuals to find the best sunscreen that absorbs quickly, offers adequate sun protection, and keeps defending against skin cancer even when it’s hot, humid, and sweaty.
In our list of the best sunscreen for golfers, we take an in-depth look at the best products for sun protection.
Best Sunscreen Overall: Neutrogena Sport
“With a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) rating of 70, this product is excellent for all-day protection before, during and after your round.”
Best SPF Value: EltaMD
“The EltaMD features a SPF 50 rating with a mineral-based formula that reduces sun damage. It offers quick absorption, and keeps the skin free from grease.”
Most Water-Resistant Sunscreen: Sun Bum
“Do you sweat a lot? Get the most water-resistant sunscreen – Sun Bum. It features 80 minutes of water resistance before it’s time to reapply.”
Last updated on 2022-07-03. The links are affiliate links. Product images are served from Amazon Product Advertising API.
Table of Contents
8 Best Sunscreen for Golfers in 2022
- Best Sunscreen Overall: Neutrogena Sport
- Best SPF Value: EltaMD
- Most Water-Resistant Sunscreen: Sun Bum
- Best SPF 50 Option: Thinksport
- Top Value Option: Solimo Sport
- Best Non-Greasy Option: Babo Botanicals Super Zinc Sunscreen
- High-Grade SPF 45 Option: Z Blok Sunscreen
- Best Clean Feel Option: Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Sunscreen
Best Sunscreen Overall
- SPF 70 formula doesn’t wear down with sweat
- Moisturizes your face in addition to providing sun protection
- Uniquely designed with Helioplex that creates a sturdy safety barrier from sun damage
Incredibly safe for the skin, the mineral-based Neutrogena Sport Sunscreen SPF 70 includes titanium dioxide, which is excellent for keeping sunshine off your skin during a long day at the golf course.
Not only is Neutrogena Sport a fantastic product, it works harder than other heavy-duty sunscreens with its extreme water resistance — even on hot and sweaty days, you won’t need to constantly re-apply. With a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) rating of 70, our top-choice sunsreen is excellent at the golf club before, during and after your round.
Best SPF Value
- SPF 50 rating with mineral-based formula that reduces sun damage
- Broad spectrum ingredient list makes product quick absorbing to flesh
- Zinc oxide keeps the skin free from grease with one use
An outstanding sunscreen from EltaMD is next on our list. With its powerful SPF 50 rating, the EltaMD is a fabulous water-resistant sunscreen that also moisturizes the skin so it doesn’t become dried out.
Whether you just use their sunscreen or go for the whole line of EltaMD skin care products, your skin will thank you. The EltaMD UV Sport provides a mineral-based safeguard to golfers that keeps the skin clean without ever feeling greasy. With several different natural ingredients providing broad spectrum sun protection, the EltaMD UV Sport is a wonderful option.
Most Water-Resistant Sunscreen
- Great in the water or when sweating on the golf course with 80 minutes of water resistance before it’s time to reapply
- The proprietary Sun Bum Formula is packed with Vitamin E and other moisturizing ingredients to enrich skin with each use
- SPF 50 rating blocks all harmful UV rays, preventing skin damage and burns
The Sun Bum Sunscreen is eco-friendly without harmful chemicals that make your flesh dry. On the golf course, the product doesn’t need frequent reapplication with long-lasting protection that is among the top sunscreens on the market.
The fragrance-free, vegan formula is ideal for sensitive skin, and the reef-friendly formula is ocean-friendly if you decide to take a dip after your round. Even on your sweatiest days, you won’t need to reapply more than every two hours with the high water-resistance that Sun Bum delivers.
Best Option for the Whole Family
- One of the finest sunscreens without greasy residue
- 80 minutes of time security with water resistance and sweat shield
- Completely free of harmful chemicals makes it great for adults and children
The best sunscreen on our list for the whole family is from Thinksport. Free from harmful chemicals like PABA, phthlates, and BPA, Thinksport is up-front with the user on its ingredients by plastering the information all over the back of the bottle. Having that information allows you to rest assured that Thinksport is safe for you and your little ones.
With a fabulous, long lasting mineral-based broad spectrum formula, Thinksport sunscreen is well equipped to protect the whole family on the golf links.
Top Value Option
- SPF 50 with 80 minutes of water-resistant safety
- Mineral-based without harmful compounds to dry out your skin
- Generic branding provides great value
For value seekers, nothing beats the Solimo Sport, an easy best value choice for this list. Available in an 8 ounce tube, the Solimo Sport offers almost an hour and a half of water-resistance safety along with a SPF 50 formula.
While it’s not as invisible and quick-drying as the more expensive brands, the Solimo Sport sunscreen goes on clean with minimal oily residue. And one 8oz tube will last you all summer long for around $5. The mineral-based formula keeps you well-protected from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
Babo Botanicals Super Zinc Sunscreen
Best Non-Greasy Option: Great for Sensitive Skin
- No chemicals or harsh irritants for clean sun protection
- SPF 30 rating offers 80 minutes of water-resistant protection
- Fast absorbing formula, great for sensitive skin
Babo Botanicals’ Super Zinc Sunscreen offers a clean application without the greasy residue that can cause discomfort while you try to enjoy your day. WIth an SPF rating of 30, the sunscreen provides 80 minutes of water-resistant protection before needing reapplication.
The Babo sunscreen does not irritate the skin, making it ideal for the golf course. An affordable sunscreen that sprays on evenly with quick absorption that’s gentle on sensitive skin, this option is an easy choice for our Best Non-Greasy title.
Z Blok Sunscreen
High-Grade SPF 45 Option
- Fragrance-free ingredients applies clear and won’t sting eyes
- 80 minutes of water-resistant protection
- SPF 45 protection with non-greasy formula
Z-Blok, a high-grade broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 45 protection, offers 80 minutes of water-resistance with an eye-safe formula that doesn’t feel oily. Formulated with a Zinc Oxide base, the Z-Blok sunscreen does not contain fragrance, providing a clean feel when the lotion touches your skin.
The Z-Blok provides a lightweight option to heavier, denser sunscreens, without sacrificing much in the way of protection. The Z-Blok also comes in a two-ounce tube, great for golfers who want a lighter, smaller sunscreen in their bags.
Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Sunscreen
Best Clean Feel Option
- Sunscreen SPF 30 provides broad protection for UV Rays
- 100% Zinc Oxide formula offers quick absorption
- Oil-free lightweight, hypoallergenic formula
Another wonderful product from the skin-care behemoth Neutrogena, the Sheer Zinc Sunscreen provides SPF 30 protection. Free from fragrance and harsh chemicals, the Sheer Zinc blocks harmful UVA and UVB rays without leaving your skin feeling oily or dirty.
Offering 80 minutes of water resistance before you need to reapply, the Neutrogena sunscreen absorbs quickly and helps push away sweat. Available in a three-pack, the Sheer Zinc sunscreen provides enough coverage to last an entire summer on the links.